Wednesday, November 21, 2012

why am I miscarrying?

Brad and I met with my doctor yesterday to go over the results of the genetic test and discuss our next steps.  It was actually a very good conversation. I of course asked the millionaire dollar questions:

Why am I miscarrying?

The guess right now is that I am miscarrying because the egg is not implanting correctly. Something new I learned is, implantation is not just a single- one time event.  In the first few weeks as the pregnancy is beginning the egg attaches further and further in my uterus. So, how is this treated? In about 3 weeks I will have my uterus and tubes examined.  Even though my doctor doesn't think there is anything severely wrong with either this may shed light on if I have scar tissue, polyps, fibroid, etc.  Any of those thing can be removed which would hopefully lead to a more successful implantation.

When do I stop trying?

The doctor feels confident that I have "better days ahead".  She has worked with other women in my situation and seen successful pregnancies- which makes me feel good.   At this point it looks like we will give it one more try on the same treatment path as before, except this time I will be on progesterone injections versus inserts.  These injection are evidently not fun and Brad will have to give them to me in my hip/butt- Oh Joy! If that doesn't work then we will move to a more aggressive treatment called IVIG. I really don't want to get to this point - it is really expensive and not covered by insurance.


At least I will be able to enjoy the holiday season without having to worry about injections or what I can and cannot drink.

Happy Thanksgiving!
Amanda



No comments:

Post a Comment