Friday, July 6, 2012

Still "trying"

Even though Brad and I are super excited to adopt we still want to try and have a child.  I think that desire to see a child that looks like you and experience pregnancy really never goes away.

I am always amazed about how the medical industry views miscarriages.  After the first one, they acted like no big deal it happens to everyone.  After the second, my doctor started doing more testing which all came back negative.  Then after the third she recommended a doctor that works with women who have had multiple miscarriages.  I wish she would have recommended him right away but I understand why she didn't; the testing can be expensive. One thing that still blows my mind is that after my last miscarriage the technician that confirmed there was no longer a heartbeat told me her friend went through 10 miscarriages- 10!  That poor girl and the emotional and physical roller coaster.   Three was bad enough but 10- at what point do you stop trying?  She had 10 before she got pregnant.  I guess you just know somewhere deep inside that it will happen. 

Well, I took my OB's advice and went to a fertility specialist, Dr. Marynick, he is known for doing more "out of the box" testing.  Brad and I met with him about a week ago and feel good about working with him and taking the next steps into more testing.  Basically, he will test my immune system to see if my body is "attacking" the pregnancy and offer some kind of treatment if a problem is found.  The next steps are as follows: 1. Wait until my body is back to normal (hormone levels,etc)  2. Begin testing  3. Start trying again.

I seriously considered stopping after my 3rd miscarriage and "walking away".  I have met a lot of great people and heard wonderful stories and advice.  One of those people told me, that sometimes your family isn't how you imagined it would be but it doesn't make it any less perfect.   It's all really exhausting but I guess it is worth the time, effort and money for a family through adoption or otherwise:)

No comments:

Post a Comment